Why take this journey with me?

As my friend, my family, or a stranger who has come across this blog because you are seeking answers.....this is a journey that God has sent me on. I can only guess it is to help His children, and also to offer support to others who are contemplating taking this journey themselves. We can all help and support each other as we do what the Bible has commanded us to do!

Monday, October 25, 2010

Introduction before we share this journey

Have you ever argued with God? I have! And, might I add, I have NEVER won an argument with Him.

My name is Jennifer, Miss Jennifer to my precious foster children. I am 41 years old, I have never been married, and I have no children.

So, you can understand WHY, when I felt God calling me to be a foster parent, I argued with Him for a while.  One day, in the middle of 2008, at the age of 39, I felt God calling me to be a foster parent to children 2 years of age and younger.  I almost made an appointment to visit a psychiatrist, because I just new I was losing my mind. There are SO many more qualified people out there! People who have husbands (I had lost the love of my life 2 years prior), people who had raised children, people who others looked at and said "WOW, she'd make a great mom".  I was none of these things.  I was a single woman with 3 dogs, whose parents live almost 700 miles away.  I enjoyed my free time, liked having extra cash, and loved spending time with my friends almost every night! But, the more I argued these points with Him, the stronger the pull to begin this journey became.

I sat down with the pastor of the Church I was attending, and told him my dilemma.  I FELT like God was calling me to do this.  But, it made no sense at all.  So, maybe it was Satan, trying to lead me astray.  The pastor gave me some very good advice.  He said, if I thought this was something God was calling me to do, start working towards it.  If God didn't want me to do this, He would close the door, and I would have my answer.  Sometimes, God just wants to see if we will be obedient to Him!

And, this, my friends, began the "Journey of a single foster mom".

4 comments:

  1. What a FANTASTIC idea! I am soooo excited to be the very 1st follower too!! YAY MEEEEEE! I won I won I won!!! I can't wait to read more, great job on the intro hun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, this is awesome! I can't wait to read more and to share both the Foster Parenting adventure through your words...as well as the blogging adventure! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Martha and Julie! Its should be an interesting adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to have found your blog. I am reading and reading and I feel like I have so much in common with you. You are like a long lost "sister" in many ways. I am 46 and for the past six years have been figuring out this calling to foster. I am now a single, full time working mother of an eight year old girl. I do not have family and do not have much of a support system where I live...and yet...I still feel this is what I must do. Tomorrow is my homestudy. Again, I'm placing it in God's hands and praying a lot over this. Meanwhile...all I keep thinking is that my house is not as clean as I'd like it to be. So much to do and to think about. But I do feel like I'm in the right place, even though I don't completely understand it. :) Much love to you, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete